Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Journal Article Paper











Journal Article Paper
Cody Smith
Popular Culture
Professor Whitney Isles
July 23, 2014


Introduction
Entertaining Elephants: Animal Agency and the Business of the American Circus, authored by Susan Nance are reviewed by Erik Mortensen of Humber College in my chosen article to be analyzed for the purpose of this paper. 
Analysis
Mortensen describes the Nance’s book as entertaining and enlightening as he describes the publication as articulate and much researched.  Nance’s book based on the history of elephants since their arrival in North America and the role played in our history as they are marketed and displayed as enormous spectacles at circuses across the nation.  The article also describes how the book relates to the American circus specifically and its normal business practices.   Nance’s research is mentioned on how the accounts of various animal owners, trainers, circus performers, spectators and circus advertisements were taken into account and were contributing factors to Nance’s book.  Mortensen describes Nance’s accounts of the knowledge gap that was present about elephants and works to present new additions to the knowledge of the animals (Mortensen, 2014). 
            I believe that this article is directed at those who are searching for an account or summary of the book authored by Nance.  It is possible that this type of article is directed towards animal lovers, students of animal science, business owners, and people who are interested in the well fare of animals who perform in the circus.  Mortensen’s examples of who the book reviewed may be useful to I believe is a testament on who the article is aimed towards.  I would summarize this article as a good review on a book where the author is dissecting the business of utilizing elephants as performers and the history of such animals in the circus business.  There are a few main ideas discussed in this review such as, the history of elephants in North America, how elephants which are not native are displayed as performers and developed into a lucrative business involving animal owners, trainers, and performers (Mortensen, 2014).
Agree or Disagree?
Although, I haven’t actually read the book that is being review in the article by Mortensen, I do find the subject material very interesting and thought provoking.  I do agree that this book authored by Nance would be potentially valuable to those researching elephants, the business of circus in America, business practices of the North American Circus, and the elephant trade and markets.  I believe that Mortensen does a good job advertising the publication as something that would be fun to read and interesting even if you are not researching the subject material provided. 
Importance
I believe that this article is important for a number of reasons.  Those who are studying animal sciences would be able to read a quick review of the article and decipher if it would pertain to a project or research paper that they were currently in the process of developing.  I think that those interested in the history of elephants in the North American circus or the history of how elephants made it to North America and the journey to the present day would find this article very helpful.  The article may not be as important to someone that is not interested or involved with elephants or their involvement in the circus however, I do believe that it would be possible for someone to be interested by this article and choose to read Nance’s book for their own pleasure.  This book will provide a vast important information to all of its readers and potentially aid in furthering the efficiency and effectiveness of the business of circus and help to close the gap of knowledge about elephants in the circus world. 

 References

Mortensen, E. (2014). Entertaining Elephants: Animal Agency and the Business of the American Circus. The Journal of Popular Culture, 47(2), 421-422. doi:0022-3840

1 comment:

  1. I found your journal analysis very interesting. You seemed to have a good grasp on the points the author was trying to communicate about the book. Elephants are beautiful creatures, and it's eye opening when you examine the abuse many have suffered as a result of captivity. You did a great job of highlighting the main sell of the article and demonstrating how the description provided by the author would be appealing to people interested in the subjects of animals.

    After reading the article I have to say I probably would not opt to read the book for myself, I don't know if I could handle knowing what really happens to these animals when the circus audience isn't looking. I did however find your analysis to be easy to read and informative.

    ReplyDelete